Sunday 7 August 2011

New Zealand Academy of Fine Arts Matariki Exhibition

The NZAFA Matariki Exhibition closed today.

I had two paintings on show.

Long White Cloud (60in x 48in)

Equinox ( two 18in x24in )



'Long White Cloud' was many months in concept and in painting. It was started and then put to one side and left while I did other things. Then I reworked the clouds to add more colour, then it was left again.
Similarly the hills were painted and repainted several times adding glazes and refining the forms.
The blue of the sky was also painted three times to get the depth and luster I required.

It is frustrating that a small photo on a computer screen does not do it justice.

'Equinox', on the other hand, was painted in two half days.
First the sky, clean and straight forward, in about 3 hours.
And then next day with the sky dry, the hills took about five hours straight.

I love the light in this. It's almost as if you can see the air.
I did studies when the sun was very low, almost setting, and came back to the same spot, at the same time, for the next two days until I had what I needed. 






No comments:

Post a Comment